Tuesday, January 4, 2011

hey hey

Happy New Year everyone! I unexpectedly have most of the evening free so I'm trying my first Ethiopian recipe, Niter Kibbeh. It's more or less flavored clarified butter. Ethiopians use this butter in cooking other dishes. I'm going to try to cook Doro Wat later this week, so I need the butter for that recipe.

So right now I have butter, onions, ginger, garlic, and many other spices simmering on my stove. In about an hour I'll strain out all the chucks and viola... Niter Kibbeh.



I'm so excited!! I'm well on my way!! I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be confident that I'll ever be able to make Ethiopian bread, injera.

Waymond just realized the other day that our boys will already like spicy and super flavorful food and he was super excited! They are already like their dad! :o)





Finished product. I'm not sure how close to the real deal it is, but I'll give it a go in the recipe.

2 comments:

Lanette said...

After reading about injera, I'm super curious to try it. Have you tasted it?

way&leigh said...

We haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to have a tang to it. I'll let you know.