Monday, August 10, 2009

Lunching

Often while I'm having lunch at work I will sit at my desk and check my emails and get on a few blogs. One blog that I have found is a lady in Singapore who posts recipes and such that she has cooked or is perfecting. Today I was checking her blog and found that she had made a cake for her son's birthday with Oreo cookies and duria. Most recipes I've found on her blog can totally be done here in the US and I can find ingredients, but I had no earthly idea what a duria was and she commented that her younger son protested her making it because he does not like them at all. Well I googled duria and got on wikipedia ~ it's a fruit apparently with a pungent odor! I found this picture.

Apparently the odor is so strong and either people love it or despise it that they have baned them in certain places. Funny. Next time I'm at our Asian Market in town I'm going to look or smell for one. Alfred Russel Wallace said it tasted like "a rich custard highly flavoured with almonds". I like custard and almonds...we'll see! This is what they look like.

No comments: