Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Here's Waymond holding one of our cabbage sprouts. I read online that if you leave your big leaves on your cabbage plant after you've cut the main cabbage head then cabbage sprouts will grow. We have about three or four so we decided to cut one tonight and see what it was like. I'm not exactly sure what you are suppose to do with them. I'm assuming you use it like you would a regular head of cabbage. Not sure! I thought about making tuna fish salad and having the cabbage sprouts as wraps. I'll let you know.



We harvested our first two zucchinis last night. We haven't eaten them yet, but I'm eager to try them. I think by the end of the season we won't want any zucchini for a while. We only have two plants and already they are producing like crazy. I'll be able to pick several more in the next couple of days and there are a ton of blooms still. I'm not sure us and the Studer's are going to eat that many zucchini. I'll need a good zucchini bread recipe. Mom, you got one? I know you have experience in this field.



Well, tonight was harvest day for the broccoli plants. I feel like our plants have grown so quickly. We cut both broccoli plants. I think Waymond is looking forward to this most of all. Last night we had some of the cauliflower from our garden and Waymond said he doesn't love cauliflower. So, I'll be finishing our part! It's tasty. I had some today at lunch with hummus. Actually today at lunch I also had beets from the ol' garden. I roasted them last night, peeled them and popped them in the fridge and ate them cold this afternoon. They were SO tasty. We actually had two different kinds, red and golden. I don't think I've ever had golden beets. They taste the same, but they don't stain your hands as you are peeling off the skin which is very lovely.


Here's great photo of me and the broccoli! One for us, one for the Studer's.

2 comments:

Jani said...

You two have an amazing gift of growing a garden!! The veggies look so-o-o tasty. I do so love cauliflower and I'm guessing fresh is awesome :o)

way&leigh said...

Tonight we went to a BBQ and had to bring a side dish. We cut up veggies from our garden. It was very exciting! We brought some broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini & celery along with some ranch dressing someone else left at our house. The celery has been a bit more bitey than grocery store celery. We have two different kinds and the reddish one is different.